Dan is a very nice man that Jake and I met at church this morning in Maine. Dan is a 5th generation lobsterman. He fits the persona of a lobsterman.
I'm not exactly sure how to define the "persona" of a lobsterman, but when he walked into the room Jake turned to me and said, "I think he is the lobsterman."
He was.
We talked with Dan the Lobsterman and simply asked him about the best places to eat lobster. Our conversation ended with Dan having our phone number. Jake and I were going to go to a beach and park and Dan was going to call us back. We assumed he would tell us where the best priced lobster was located, or he would show us which restaurants were the best for lobster.
So we went to the beach and saw the Atlantic Ocean.


Jake checked his phone: One missed call from Dan. Jake called him back.
Dan gave us specific instructions. He told us to meet him at a gas station and told us to buy some snacks. He also told us to wear warm clothes.
We didn't know what to think. We imagined some scenarios of what was about to happen, but none of them compare to what actually took place today.
Dan took us out on his boat with Cory, his younger relative.
We were told to dress warm because it was very cold on the water. Dan took us around to show us different boats and their purposes. He showed us old lobster boats, new lobster boats, shark fishing boats, and even an oil cleanup boat. (Sorry Forest Gump fans, no shrimping boats.)


We got to see Maine from the water. This was amazing.
Then Dan started to head out to sea. He showed us some lighthouses and then took us to an Island. This island was very small. Also, this is the location of Fort Gorges.
Fort Gorges is old and abandoned. Dan took us to this small island with this large fort and told us to go exploring. He gave us a flashlight for the dark corridors and let us have fun.


After we were on the roof of the fort, Cory came to get us. We went back to where Dan had docked his boat to find this:
Jake and I were floored. We couldn't believe what was happening. We wanted to go to Maine to have some lobster. Both of us imagined that this experience would be in some kind of restaurant -- not on an island. So, we enjoyed some lobster.

We filled our stomachs on lobster and clam. Then we rested.
After some time and some good conversation, we loaded the boat with Dan's things and we were on our way back to the port. Jake and I couldn't thank Dan enough for his hospitality and the wonderful experience.
This is a story that I will tell my children some day. Also, I am pretty sure I will tell this story every time I consume any form of lobster.
"This lobster tastes alright, but let me tell you about this one time in Maine..."
Thanks for the lobster Dan, and thank you for the memory.

--John D.



4 comments:
That is awesome :)
Dan looks just like I imagined he would look when I listened to the story last night :)
The Lobsterman's last name wasn't "Darling," was it? We know of some Darlings who are Nazarenes that live in Maine. If so, it's a REALLY small world! What a great day, John!
These are the most amazing stories. You are my hero dude! These stories kind of remind me of the movie Yes Man.
kevin peterson
Post a Comment